Thursday 11 March 2010

Countdown 13 days to go

Getting quite twitchy at the moment and wonder about how I am going to fit everything into the bright pink bag!
I have been doing quite a bit of of thinking over the last couple of weeks about how I am able to do this journey anyway and how it all came about. It all came about when about 2 or 3 years ago I read a story from the Kalmyk people which obviously dated from the time that they lived in Central Asia, this story mentioned the Tien Shan mountains. (The Kalmyks were a nomadic people, who have a wonderful and at times very sad history. Originally they lived in the part of Central Asia which is in Kazakhstan, Russia, Monglia and China. After various wars and being pushed out of their grazing lands the Kalmyks migrated west to between the Volga and the Don. After they settled the Kalmyks were the only inhabitants of Europe who were Buddhist (Tibetan). They were horribly persecuted by Stalin and transported out of their Russian homelands during WW2 and now there are very few Kalmyks in the area between the rivers Don & Volga.) After reading the story I looked up Tien Shan mountains/Kalmyks on the internet, took a look at the Tien Shan (the Celestial or Heavenly mountains) on Google and knew that I had to go there. So that is how I am on the trip.
As to HOW I am able to do this trip - I would like to give thanks to my NHS orthopedic surgeon who gave me a wonderful replacement hip, the hospital /community teams and the friends who cared for me afterwards and helped my recovery. This means that I now have the mobility to go on such a long and what will be, at times, arduous, difficult and physically challenging trip as well as being exciting, so very different to where I have been before and by the end I think life changing. Over 2 years later I am still profoundly grateful for the treatment I received and I have not yet taken my replacement hip for granted. Thank you to the NHS and my friends for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment