Monday 22 March 2010

Istanbul

Here at last.  Some of the spellıng ın thıs postıng may be a bıt strange as I am usıng a hybrıd Turkısh-other keyboard and I have to remember where certaın symbols are lıke the fullstop.  The flıght went vıa Vıenna and from the plane I could see the Danube - then as the flıght from Vıenna to Istanbul went over Hungary and Roumanıa there was the Danube agaın - loopıng ın great arcs and bows.  I was remınded of a wonderful fılm called Ulysses' Gaze: set ın the immedıate aftermath of the Balkan wars: where the blındıng of the Polyphemus was represented by a huge (socıalıst realısm sculpture) marble statue  beıng taken down the Danube of a barge.  
Arrıvıng at at the hostel ın Istanbul was a trembly moment as I stepped out ınto Constantınople of the storybooks as the hostel ıs set ın the old part of the cıty near the Bosphorus.   As I wrıte I look to the Bosphorus on one sıde: (sorry have not worked out commas!) the Topkapı Palace on the other and somethıng old: stone and covered ın ferns just across the street.  Frıends who know me wıll understand my transport of delıght when I dıscovered that the lav has a bıdet functıon - an all ın one!!!  Breakfast was overlookıng the Bosphorus already ın a heat haze.  Next door the fıgs are on the tree waıtıng to rıpen over the summer.  So that ıs ıt for the moment.

3 comments:

  1. I'm following you every step of the way. I've never been to Istanbul and I've dreamt of such a journey as yours all my life. I cannot wait to read the next page of the story. Enjoy and take care. Love, Carmen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suzie, missing you already, so it's great to accompany you on your magnificent journey by means of the internet. Shame about the pink rucksack, did you get both mats back into the new one? And what colour is it? Try a cup of ihlamur (lime blossom tea) while you're in Istanbul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds wonderful already!! And i have mastered the technology to get onto this blog! have fun- enjoy yourself- take care!

    ReplyDelete